Monday 25 February 2013

Panicking Part II and Calming Down

The 10K I'm running is organised by Run Bristol who also organise the half marathon here and other running events during the year. Well, I assume, I've never done this before!

They do a monthly email newsletter and this month's email pinged into my inbox first thing today. The main topic was the training plans. Hurrah, I thought, how timely. I was freaking out at 1:30 this morning because I've not run for so long. Excellent, a training plan will help calm me down.

I opened up the page, and selected "Beginners". The first run is an "easy 20 mins". WTF?! Panic panic panic, all over again.

Very fortunately for me a very experienced colleague who runs was standing right by my desk. I told her I was freaking out a bit and she reassured me that she's never followed a plan and just trains as she sees fit and there is nothing wrong with run-walk-run on the day. Nothing at all. The whole point of the run is to finish and enjoy the journey of getting there, not to give myself a hard time for not meeting a somewhat arbitrary standard. Life gets in the way sometimes. I know that!

So, thank you to my lovely colleague for calming me down and tomorrow I'm going to restart 5K training and see how I get on with Day 1, Week 1 which is walking for two minutes, walking for one minute times ten.

It's probably going to be very boring, I do find 45 minutes very long, particularly when the music on the MP3s isn't terribly inspiring, but needs must. The better I do, the sooner I can run with my own tunes, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment