Sunday 24 February 2013

Two weeks down and beginning to panic

I tried to go to bed about an hour and a half ago but I couldn't sleep. Working out how many training weeks there are until the big run and how I'm going to get fit enough to do it. I've now lost two weeks to that bloody cold/cough/sore throat/chest infection and I'm not happy at about it at all. Freaking out as to how I'm going to catch back up to where I was, let alone get to where I wanted to be at this point.

It's usually better for me to make a plan, write it down, share it and then sleep will come.

So, here's the plan.

I'm going to run three times a week until the big day. I am going to try to stay as healthy as possible in this time. This means getting out of the office every day at lunch time and taking every opportunity possible to keep my work space ventilated and keeping germs at bay. I will use my alcohol hand gel at every opportunity.

I'm going to take a few half days at work and go on a few long bike rides. I really hope that now it's Spring the weather will warm up enough for me to do this. When I started riding in the winter a few years ago I just couldn't ride when the weather was below 10C as it made my hands too cold. But, I found during previous attempts to run 5K that long bike rides really helped with my general fitness and endurance and isn't as tiring or painful as running. A few weekly trips down the bike path will help.

I need to get a lot more serious about looking after myself and how I spend my time. I'm going to be going to Bristol Women's Literature Festival on March 16 and 17 and once that's completed I will and I must focus entirely on this run. No late nights out, no weekends sitting around not doing anything. I can't say the cold and snow this weekend has made me want to go out and run, but I'm better now so I'm going to have to grit my teeth and get back out there. Rain or shine.

I'm going to do exercise DVDs that help with cardio and conditioning but nothing that'll take me out of action for any length of time. I lost a week to squats last month - that can't happen again. I've got optimise this time as it's running out and I want to finish the run, hit my fundraising targets and not let anyone down.

Time to crack on and crack down.

No comments:

Post a Comment