Thursday 7 March 2013

Aw, man!

It's been a horrible rainy day here, and I put off going for a run for the longest time. I ended up running at dusk which was quite nice, although not so great for spotting the dog mess that is found along any stretch of road around here. It is DISGUSTING!

Anyway, I decided to just go out, do some running and some walking and see how I felt. I only took my phone with my Runtastic app to see what I did at the end. I knew that it would monitor my speed, trace a route along a map with different colour trails to denote how fast I was going at certain points, average speed, elevation. The works, basically. I nearly forgot to turn the GPS on but stuck it on as I went out and hit "start workout".

It was a good run, even though the rain started pouring down halfway through and I hate rain! I just carried out though and did some longer run sections. I made sure I stayed on the flat and my knee was fine. The sole of my left foot is hurting now though. Always something!

When I got back, I opened up the app to save the session and take a look and...the GPS hadn't kicked in! Oh, the crushing disappointment! I know how long I was out - probably long enough to cover about 5K - but nothing else. Argh! I really am such a geek I couldn't wait to check out the red bits - where I'm fastest and running - and to see what distance I covered.

As ever though, the main thing is that I did it and I think I did pretty well. Near the end I realised that it's never going to feel easy or effortless. You see athletes on the telly and they just make it look so simple. But I guess maybe their shins ache a bit, or they just want to stop and lie down. They just don't talk about it! You can see the effort though - they're sweating at the end, and out of breath. I sort of felt like at some point I'd be able to run a certain distance and not find it an effort. Naive? Yes. It will always be an effort, that's why it's running and not lying on the sofa. I'm probably always going to want to stop after two minutes, I hope the difference will be that I'll want to, but won't *have* to. Onwards! And I'll put the GPS early in future!

No comments:

Post a Comment