Tuesday 5 March 2013

The Guardian Running Blog - a review of sorts

In a rather timely, for me, fashion, the Guardian Newspaper has recently created a running blog. It looks good and as I quite like to look over different blogs and news stories during breaks at work, or just of an evening, I'm enjoying the posts and I think it does me good to look at it all from different points of view and take on board various opinions and experiences which will all help me on my way.

Two posts, which to me seem quite complementary, have got me mulling things over this week.

The first post I read is called "What's the point of running?". I enjoyed reading this piece, the writer has a wonderful turn of phrase and it's definitely food for thought. I wanted to fundraise for Charing Cross and the research and the best way, to me, seemed to be some sort of physical challenge. I wouldn't say I enjoy running - the other day I suggested I should have shaved my head instead of embarking on this running lark - but I think I am starting to enjoy it. I would probably be sad if I never ran again. I'm not sure how much this is tied up in the fundraising. We'll see after 5 May, I guess! It's important to me too, to remember that this isn't work for everyone, and to try to find the play in it for me, to enjoy it as much as I can, and to try to sink into the process of learning to run, rather than than stress out too much about the end point.

The next piece is called "Should you run for charity, or just for yourself?" Of course, I'm running for charity, but I would never presume to tell anyone else why they should run. Some of the comments are really illuminating on this topic. As I've said before, I'm not sure what will happen with me and running after the race - I like to think I'll carry on but I'm not naturally a person who gets up at 7am to run around the park purely because I think it's fun. Perhaps that will change. Perhaps it would be good for me to have a go at doing it for doing it's sake? All in good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment