Monday 25 March 2013

My running gear

I thought I'd do a little post on my running clothes. I was chatting on the Guardian's running blog today about weekend runs and commented that I was really cold. A few friendly posters replied and recommended a few things which I am going to try out and will update about.

I recently read a running magazine where there was a reader feature about running clothes and one woman said, "I'm short so I wear cropped leggings". That made me laugh. I'm also very short and I very much doubt any length of trouser is going to make me look taller. And why on earth would you care how short or tall you look when you're training? I don't care how short I am when I'm trying to look my best, let alone when I'm red faced and grimacing. Very strange.

Anyway, on to the point of the post!


These are my usual running clothes. I actually wore more than this on Saturday, with a woolly neck warmer. It was that cold. I just don't seem to get that hot or sweat when I run in this cold weather. Which is both a relief and rather strange as I usually get out of breath running up a flight of stairs.

From right to left:

Sports bra - an absolute necessity for me. Even doing a very short jog on a treadmill when I got my new trainers made realise how very important a sports bra is to me. Besides all the "running will make your boobs saggy" - please! - it's distracting and uncomfortable to be worrying about what's going on with an unsupported poitrine. This one is a Berlei, it annoys me a bit because you have to take it off over your head which I hate but it does the job.

Vest - I wear a vest, or some sort of undergarment whatever I'm doing - even swimming - so I will always wear a couple of layers. I don't actually like the ones with the "integral bra". There's a load of rubbish. They are just crop tops sewn into a vest. They offer no support and are really uncomfortable to get over your head when you're all sweaty at the end of a workout. But, I do like colour and it fits well and doesn't dig in or anything. And, it's long. I do like a long vest.

Long sleeved top - I love this top! One of my first blog posts was about it. It's by Saucony and was an absolute bargain TK Maxx. It's great - thick fabric, thumb holes, decent pocket and long in the body. It's my favourite bit of running kit.

Running tights - these are by Karrimor and I got them after signing up for the 10K back in December. Seems like a long time ago now. They are cut rather oddly - very small in the waist but so large in the rise and seat that I'm sure a man would feel comfortable in them. They've also got lining across part of the upper leg but not others which feels a bit weird when you take them off. They are very warm though and full length. This cold weather and cropped leggings or trousers is just not going to happen. No way. I do see people out in shorts and leggings and I don't know how they do it.

Socks - Karrimor also, they're a little too short in the ankle for me, I like to pull my socks UP! I'm hoping to get some new ones soon to keep my ankles warm.

I also wear undercrackers but I don't think anyone needs a picture of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment